I love a good bargain, but sometimes it can get me into trouble. I bought this cute little summer dress from Target for $3, and didn’t try it on before the purchase. I knew better, but did it anyway. When I got home and tried it on, it fit great everywhere, but in the shoulders. I’ve never had this problem before, so I chalked it up to a manufacturing error (smile). After debating on whether or not to donate it, I decided to try and fix it. Glad I did too! Below is a mini tutorial on how I fixed my mini problem. Maybe it will help you if you find yourself in a similar situation.
Tools: Scrap fabric, thread, sewing machine, scissors, and a straight-edge.
Measure the thickness of your straps and add about 1/2 in. sewing allowance and cut your strap pieces.
Fold your fabric strip in half (wrong side out), and sew along the open edge. Repeat for both straps.
Then flip each strip right-side out. You may have to use tweezers or a safety pin to help, depending on the thickness of your strap.
Cut as close to the sewn joint on each side as possible. Toss the little scrap.
Now you’re ready to sew all of your pieces together. Be sure to sew the seem-side down (where it will be hidden). Sew each end to the ends on your cut strap and repeat on the other side.
Your finished piece should look something like this! Yay!
Thanks for stopping by!